Find a recipe!

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Ham logic


This post is about what I call "ham logic". Food is truly a science, not an art.

Along those lines... I once heard a story about a recently married woman who made an Easter ham. When she brought it to the table he stared at it, puzzled, because she'd cut off both ends of the ham.

"Why did you cut off the ends?" he asked.

"I don't know, that's the way my mother taught me. It has something to do with getting a good crust I think. That's just how it's done. " she said.

A few days later while talking to her mother she asked, "why do you cut the ends off the ham?"

Her mother said, "I don't know. That's how your grandmother always did it. I think it has something to do with letting the heat cook it evenly or something like that. I'll call and ask her."

So her mother called her grandmother who promptly tells her that she had to cut the ends off because her oven was too small to hold an entire ham.

Ham Logic.

And this, my friends, is how food myths are formed. Never accept them as fact because "that's just how it's done". Try to understand the science instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment