Find a recipe!

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Rum Irish Cream

This is amazing on the rocks!

So let's just say you don't like egg nog... or perhaps homemade egg nog is out of your comfort zone because it contains raw eggs. Who doesn't like Irish cream? Nobody, that's who.

I call this "Rum Irish Cream" because it's the same recipe for making Irish Cream, but it uses rum instead of irish whiskey. I guess technically it would be called "Rum Cream", but then people would be like - what the heck is that?

I first heard about the recipe for homemade Irish Cream from my friend over at ScrapingtheBowl.com who discovered this while perusing DesignSponge.com. He loved it and that was good enough for me! Except, I don't really like Irish whiskey so I make it with rum or bourbon.

I changed the recipe slightly in that I wait to add the vanilla and almond extracts until the end because I want to make sure the flavors still have a presence even with the liquor.

Note of warning though - it's delicious and it will make you drunk, so you may need to keep an eye on Nana! ;)


All this will come together to make magic!

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup strong coffee (it really enhances the chocolate flavor and believe it or not, you won't taste the coffee in the end)
  • 1 tbsp dark cocoa
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
  • 2 cups rum (or bourbon)
Directions:
  1. Put the coffee, cocoa, sugar and honey in a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
  2. Reduce heat to low and add the cream.
  3. Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes until mixture begins to thicken, whisking frequently.
    
    When it begins to bubble up and you can't whisk it down,
    it's ready!
  4. Remove from heat and whisk in extracts and sweetened condensed milk.
  5. Once all are mixed well, whisk in the rum (or bourbon).
  6. Serve chilled. (I think it tastes best directly over ice)

No comments:

Post a Comment